Thursday, November 20, 2008

Off to the Races

Speed Limit None images
So last Sunday Bruce and I went to a NASCAR
race for the first time, at Homestead-Miami Speedway, and although I was kind of nervous about it at first, I actually had a good time. I must admit that I would never do it myself, but there is an adrenaline rush that goes along with watching cars racing by at 200 m.p.h. If there ever is a next time, I will bring some earplugs, 'cause it was loud.

The only thing I didn't care for was that smoking was allowed in the stadium, cough, cough, hack, hack, and we were fortunate enough (sarcasm intended) to be sitting right behind two smokers who seemed to be taking pleasure in blowing their smoke into the breeze traveling right into my face. I didn't necessarily care for all the drinking either, not that there's anything wrong with drinking by itself, but we all know everyone can't handle alcohol. There were several folks that looked like they had a few too many brewskies, if you know what I mean.

All in all, NASCAR gets a thumbs up from me, especially because they pray before the race. Now I know it's mostly because they want the good Lord to keep anyone from being seriously hurt, but at least they still have the audacity to acknowledge that only the Lord can protect them. Like Jeff Foxworthy said, in reference to red necks (not that I am a redneck), "We pray to Him because we believe in Him."

On a side note, my husband wants me to add that, and I quote, "Tony Stewart is amazing, and he only lost by 13 gallons." This was the last race of the season, so it really didn't matter either way.

So, all in all, it was a great time, and maybe next season we'll try and catch the next race that comes to Homestead, if we're still here then (and hopefully we will be).

-BRUCE'S CORNER!!!
"MY CAT'S BREATH SMELLS LIKE CAT FOOD" - RALPH WIGGUM
...THINK ABOUT IT ;)

1 comment:

The Guru said...

Yeah, Nascar is Great!!! I cought a race... part of a race... well, about 20 laps about 6 years ago, before all this "Points Race" nonsense had Jimmy Johnson being compared to everyone from Elway to Elvis. It was definitely a good day to turn left. But as a Black man, I know that I'm not really allowed to acknowledge an affinity for NASCAR, Hockey, Alanis Morisette, Pumpkin Pie and words like "affinity". Well, pumpkin pie IS disgusting, everyone should go out and buy some sweet potatoes. Anyway, thank you for beginning the dialogue so that we don't have to live in the shadows anymore. I think next I'll try not calling 50 cent "Fitty."